Farmland LP was formed in 2009 to demonstrate that sustainable agriculture at-scale is more economically viable than chemical-dependent commodity agriculture. We strive to deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to our investors using land management practices that align the interests of investors, the environment, farm managers, consumers, the communities in which we operate and future generations.
We bought our first farm in 2009 in the heart of Oregon’s Willamette Valley near Corvallis. Today, we own and manage 6,750 acres of farmland — 5,800 in the Sacramento River Delta 55 miles east of San Francisco Bay and 950 acres in Corvallis. More than 10% of our acreage is certified Organic and the rest is in transition. Through our expertise in agriculture, soil biology, real estate, and farm management, we have forged a new model for how farmland is owned and managed. At the heart of this model is enhancing soil fertility and productivity through livestock and crop rotations — applying modern scientific expertise to proven methods used by farmers for millennia.
Our Business Model:
- Acquire and manage farmland near markets of high demand for Organic food
- Convert conventional farmland into Organic farmland using pastured-livestock and crop rotations
- Consolidate farmland acreage to enhance economies of scale
- Align the interests of investors and farmers by allowing for multiple uses of the land to enhance productivity
- Participate in the development of local and regional food systems
- Engage multiple stakeholders to make working lands positive environmental assets